ACT Historic places Art Prize 2023
Entries for the inaugural ACT Historic Places Art Prize are now open. Artists, crafts creators and designers are encouraged to apply.
WHAT IS IT?
This new Art Prize is designed to support ACT and regional artists and to encourage a deeper appreciation of Canberra’s cultural and natural heritage through artistic engagements with our cultural places.
The ACT Historic Places Art Prize is a regional, non-acquisitive competition and exhibition. It is open to works in any medium by artists aged 18 years and over who are a resident of the ACT or the surrounding Canberra region (including Bega, Eurobodalla, Hilltops, Goulburn Mulwaree, Queanbeyan-Palerang, Snowy Monaro, Upper Lachlan and Yass Valley LGAs).
The prize pool totals over $20,000
1st prize: $7,000
2nd prize: $3,000
3rd prize: Solo Exhibition at the Tuggeranong Arts Centre with $500 cash for solo exhibition support (value approx. $5,500).
Craft and Design Prize: Solo exhibition at Craft ACT Gallery (value approx. $7000). Proudly supported by CraftACT.
People’s Choice Award: $500. To be announced at the close of the exhibition.
Artworks submitted should respond to Lanyon Homestead – its natural and cultural history, tangible and intangible heritage, Indigenous and non-Indigenous occupants, workers and families. Through their response, artists are encouraged to consider themes around public and private spaces and the tensions inherent in each within the place’s historic, current and future contexts.
Selection of Finalists will be based on:
- Degree of artistic merit and development of concepts.
- Level of recognition of, and direct response to Lanyon Homestead and its history, context, collection, gardens and stories.
The Finalist awarded the Craft and Design Prize will be judged on:
- Demonstrated excellence in the discipline of Craft and Design
- Conceptual sophistication in response to the ACTHP Art Prize conceptual intent
- Innovative use of materials
- Technical skill demonstrated in the making of the artwork.
THINKING ABOUT APPLYING?
Artists considering entering the inaugural ACT Historic Places Art Prize are strongly advised to book in for a guided site visit. The site visit will provide:
- Historic context and heritage details of the site
- Viewing of the various areas allocated to the exhibition / locations for your artwork
- Opportunity to engage with physical and temporal elements of the site
- The chance to ask questions and clarify program requirements
Artists’ site briefing and tours will be held at 10am on: Tuesday 29 November, Saturday 3 December, Thursday 8 December, Saturday 10 December and Saturday 14 January 2023.
Artworks chosen as Finalists will be exhibited in select locations in /on the property to create an immersive house museum and garden experience. The Art Prize exhibition opens on Saturday 1 July 2023 and closes on Sunday 15 October 2023.
Winners will be announced on Friday 30 June 2023 at the official launch of the exhibition.
- Artists’ site briefing – 10am tour on Tuesday 29 November, Saturday 3 December, Thursday 8 December, Saturday 10 December and Saturday 14 January 2023. Book your spot.
- Entries close – Friday 5 May 2023 at 5pm
- Artists selected for exhibition – notified by Monday 22 May 2023
- Artwork delivery dates – Wednesday 14 or Saturday 17 June 2023, between 10am and 3pm
- Prize winners announced at the exhibition opening – Friday 30 June 2023
- Exhibition Dates – Saturday 1 July – Sunday 15 October 2023