Intro to Painting with Sarah Murray
The Make Art at TAC program offers term-based and casual art classes run by professional artists.
Introduction to Painting with Sarah Murray
- 6 week introduction to painting intensive
- 6-8pm on Thursdays (4 May – 8 June)
- $210 per term
Book here for Introduction to Painting.
Ever wanted to learn how to paint? Hoping to dust off the brushes? Join painter Sarah Murray for a 6-week intensive that will take you through the basics of painting and give you the confidence to begin to discover your own self expression through paint.
You will be introduced to watercolour and acrylic paint and explore concepts such as colour theory, composition and form. Throughout the class, Sarah will introduce you to artists that uses these concepts and break down the ways that you can apply this to your own work. No experience is required and all are welcome! All materials included!
The class will cover:
- Introduction to materials, quick sketching using watercolours and how to compose an image.
- Painting using tone, exploring light and dark.
- Deep dive into colour theory
- Colour mixing and learning to get the colour you want
- Exploring different ways of applying paint on the page and the range of tools used in painting
- Finding your on voice the final week will allow the artist to explore what interests them and make an image that reflects this!
Sarah Murray is an artist based in Canberra, Ngunnawal country, working primarily in drawing and painting. Their work explores a bodily experience of landscape, engaging the body within the time, space and place of the land. Sarah’s gestural and immersive works are made both in the studio and outdoors in the landscape. In which, she utilises the process of indexing, shifting grounds and changing perspectives to create an embodied impression of space, time, and place.
In 2021 Sarah graduated the ANU School of Art and design with first-class honours and since has been involved with various shows around Canberra and interstate. Including, showing at Tributary Projects and M16 Artspace in Canberra and was a finalist in the Goulburn Art Award in 2022. They have worked in education for over five years. Their experience includes running the arts program at a local out of school hours care and an internship at Melbourne art class, in which she assisted classes of all ages.